Monday, April 20, 2015

Wellies

If you live in northern Europe, you care about wellies because it rains here a lot. And if it doesn't, the ground is still wet. Not to mention puddles, puddles are like a magic magnetic spot for Teodor :) I kind of thought Stonz boots are waterproof, but after one play in a puddle, it was really wet inside, so I figured I can't use them as wellies...so what to do now? I didn't want traditional wellies for him because they look everything but comfortable to walk in. I mean there are some, which have quite soft sole, but the leg opening is just too wide, in my opinion, and I just see them falling off Teodor's feet easily.

Yesterday I came across MyMayu rain boots and I fell in love, ordered a pair on sale today...two weeks till they come :) They seem like comfy wellies which suit northern climate. I just have to hope Teodor's foot won't grow any more any time soon, because they are only 1cm bigger than his foot, which has grown 1.5 cm in the last month, pretty scary, huh? (but ordering a shoe bigger by 2.5cm than his foot seemed not very smart for a new walker)



8 comments:

  1. How did you like them? I am wondering about getting a pair to use in Estonian conditions and wonder if they would work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These particular ones are not water-proof, so we took Explorer line in autumn and they work very well, but if his pants are wet, the boots get eventually wet, too. I still like them a lot.

      Delete
  2. Did you use the Explorers over or under pants? If the child jumps in puddles then they still get wet inside? Will they leak in like 10 minutes of play in a puddle or an hour? I noticed from your blog that you use barefoot shoes. Which ones have you tried? Where do you buy them? We made recently a decision to move towards barefoot and it has been difficult to find them (especially considering shipping costs from overseas)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Under water-proof pants (I guess you can see it in my posts from autumn), over usual pants. Jumping is ok, staying in puddles for extended period of time can cause some leaks. (weirdly enough, not once happened that one shoe was dry and second wet inside). I've tried Livia and Luca - too wide and not very good quality, Zeazoo (handmade in Bulgaria) - I love those, real barefoot shoes, very good quality and now I'm thinking about trying Filii from Germany, they should be for narrower feet. Myself I wear Vivobarefoot - sometimes they have discounts, so I usually grab a pair. If you are ever in Tallinn, you can come over and see our shoes ;) Do you think Estonians know about barefoot?

      Delete
  3. Well I just ordered a pair of them! Thanks for your help! Did you know that they are also sold on http://www.bosonozka.cz/zimni-obuv/? It did not look like they were shipping to Estonia, but you might have connections :) My husband has two pairs of Vivobarefoot and he likes them a lot. That is how we got started with it. I ordered a pair for myself last week as well. We also ordered a pair of bobux Iwalk and then See kai run, but we shipped them right back... Ecco and superfit are more flexible than those even. For the past month or so I have been reading about barefoot and I do not think many Estonians know about it. Everything in Estonian that I have found is connected to running, so I do not think people use them for everyday go about nor with kids. And as much as I have read baby/toddler related forums and such they only focus on the weight and flexibility of the shoe. Though often for babies who are learning to walk barefoot is mentioned, but suddenly once they walk people start talking about the need to support the feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people in my Czech forum told me that bosonozka.cz can send even to Estonia when I asked if Filii ships abroad. You can get almost anything in Czech, especially the barefoot and babywearing groups are very powerful and big.
      Well, if you ever wanted to meet, I'd love to, it might be nice to meet somebody who wears barefoot shoes :)

      Delete
  4. I am totally up to meeting up! Do you see my e-mail address when I comment here? I am a bit hesitant to leave it here publicly since I do not want to be spammed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete