Friday, April 24, 2015

Practical Life: Self-care: Self-spoon-feeding


I always thought I would be the cool parent who doesn't mind the mess, but unfortunately I am not that kind of a mom. Mostly because it's me who has to clean the mess afterwards and I just feel like it's waste of time and resources if I can spoon-feed him in 10 minutes without spending another 15 minutes with cleaning the baby, his high-chair, table, table top, the dog (he has the nasty habit to be always in the way),...you get the picture. But lately it was becoming quite challenging to make him busy (can you see the amount of toys on his table top?), so he would open his mouth and ate properly. I took it as a wake-up call. He should get busy by feeding himself, it sounded like a pretty smart idea.

Three days ago, when a friend was visiting, I decided it was the right time to start, she was a great way how to channel my freakiness and we both laughed at him getting dirty :) (I decided not to take any more pictures of him eating because I don't want to give him the idea that getting messy while eating is something worth picture-taking). 
Side note: I had tried to give him a spoon many times before with the idea that we both would be feeding him, but it didn't work. I had to let myself go fully out of the process, letting him do his best. 

It's been three days now and every feeding is different: he likes to get dirty with dairy products, he is quite neat with lunch/dinner purees, he sometimes like to feed me, then I feed him (he puts the spoon in my mouth, I put mine in his), he is not allowed to spoon-feed the dog, though, this morning he was too lazy to feed himself and preferred to play with the dental floss...I try not to push it. I try to be ok with the fact he doesn't eat much now (but he breastfeeds during the day and night, so I am not worried that much that he wouldn't be getting enough of nutrients), I try to be ok with the fact I change his T-shirts a few times per day. I try to be fine with finding broccoli in his ears just before bedtime, I try to not to push him to put food properly on the spoon because he has no problem with putting an empty spoon in his mouth couple of times in a row...I can already see the progress, the coordination eye-hand-mouth is getting better, I hope to have a neat eater in half a year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment