Friday, December 4, 2015

Not-so-secret ingredients to being a wonderful parent

I've been thinking about these three qualities of a wonderful parent already for some time: love, respect and patience. There are probably more and these are not the only ones, but I consider them as the most important. You know, when your tot decides to take his motorbike up the stairs on his own, it takes him a while to figure out how to do it and then he is slow and noisy...and you don't bring his effort down by taking the motorbike for him or by having some discouraging comments and you patiently wait until he's done.
 
Well, I mostly don't have problem with respecting and waiting for him patiently when he has some "inovative" ideas, but what I'm struggling with is him helping with cooking. And that's what this post should be about.

My mother is visiting and today I told her that Teodor would help her baking. When she agreed, I gloated, I could see Teodor being instantly covered in flour, sugar, etc...Well, it didn't go the way I expected...

...Teodor was actually doing what he was supposed to do, my mother was very patient with him...this is how I imagined him having a good time with his grandmother not by being constantly tested (What is this? What sounds does a cow make? etc.). This was the first time I felt like he had the "right" granny and I was happy for him. Then I was thinking why I can't be this patient with him. Does it come with age? Is it because I am so annoyed by the cleaning afterwards...? Didn't come up with any answer, but was thinking how much children benefit from adult's patience. Children are slower, clumsier, less experienced and giving them space helps them to build self-confidence, independence and experiencing the world by themselves is probably the most valuable lesson (he hasn't tried to bring the motorbike up since) they can get (definitely more effective than explaining and explaining). 


Anyway, I think Teodor and his grandmother are going to bake more in the following week to get some quality time and I will get some quiet time :) (I can't stand the testing happening behind my back) And I'm going to reflect on myself and try to be more patient with him and let him help me more often. 

This was never meant to be a philosophical post even though the title suggests that...sorry, if you expected to read some smart thoughts; today's baking afternoon was kinda of a practical example of my theoretical thoughts on the topic, which I have never shared with you,...maybe once I will...


2 comments:

  1. Nice.
    Maybe older people are more patient. You know.. The fairy-tale picture of a granny being slow and patient with a grandchild. Parents usually have rush and so much to do (even when they actually don't), they don't have time to be patient..

    Are the pictures made with your new camera?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven´t seen that video before. It surprised me. I had no idea that T. is such a strong little man :-)

    ReplyDelete