Monday, December 21, 2015

The day when he didn't nap

A friend of mine whom I haven't seen in months (always something was more important) asked me yesterday if they could come today, I agreed. When I found him fully awake at 5:30, I thought we might have been waking up for real, but somehow we managed to fall back asleep and I found him playing with his cars in the living room little bit after 9. We should have woken up at 5:30. There was no time to go for a walk with Charlie. There was so little time for cleaning. It was obvious he won't fall asleep at 12...

At about 10am, the cleaning marathon started...I think I did pretty well, Teodor was playing on his own not sabotaging my work, so no complaints there. I put the sled horizontally instead of vertically because I didn't want it to fall on my friend's daughter. Teodor is aware of the danger living in our apartment, so I am not worried about him...the sled made the best toy of the day, he was playing with his car and train on it for dozens of minutes.


The first try to make him sleep happened around 12:30, I vacuum cleaned with him on my back, I cleaned the kitchen and NOTHING. Let him play a bit, fed him and tried it one hour later (friend was running late). NOTHING. So I decided to try what would happen if he had no daynap...I've been thinking about it for already some time anyway because he wakes up late, takes his naps late, goes to bed late...

At 2pm (an hour later than agreed) the friend came. Her daughter has grown up so much since we've last seen each other (she is one month younger than Teodor). It went perfectly fine with Teodor, I was afraid he will be hysteric but when he hid his cars, he was fine with her using his toys. I realized how much toddlers can be different and how much freak I am about the system in his toys.

The girl was trashing our living room. Not that Teodor wouldn't trash it like ever but the thing was, she was mixing up stuff, you know, when Teodor turns the box upside down, he doesn't transport pieces all around, doesn't hide them anywhere, he usually starts to play with it. And then he goes and turns another box upside down...so we have several piles in the living room. We never look for keys, credit cards or generally anything. Everything has its own space and Teodor respects that. He often cleans after himself...you know, when he's done drawing, he puts the block crayon back to its place, he puts lego back, even sometimes the memory pairs...I was thinking how much the system makes sense for children and that they love to follow it. 

This is an older picture of Teodor playing with his Lego - he takes the blocks from the box and when he doesn't need them any more, he puts them back. 
Friend's daughter is, on the other hand, so much better at eating on her own. Each child has something, but I am really glad he is quite organized.

We took our usual walk outside with Charlie, again, the routine kicked in, so Teodor refused to go home after the ride (he also refused to go other way than we go usually), he insisted on going to the playground because we always go to the playground after the walk. 

Teodor seemed to be totally fine without the nap till 6pm. He fell asleep immediately after being given the breast, but was fully awake an hour later. 

We baked some gingerbread, I made broth for tomorrow's sauce (which I planned to make on Sunday :) and then it took me half an hour in Tula + breastfeeding to make him finally fall asleep at 10pm. So we're waking up late tomorrow again. 

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering, what is "late" for you.. Got the answer in the end, so 10 pm.. Yes, really late for you, how did that happen? (I remember him going to sleep around 6-7 pm)

    But our routine is ruined too.. :D Our baby goes to sleep really late, around midnight. Yesterday we tried to put her to sleep earlier (because we were tired ourselves), and there was crying and simply refusing.

    But great about Teodor being organised! :) I guess he really is a "Montessori child".

    ReplyDelete