Monday, January 11, 2016

Coping with freezing weather

It's been more than a week since the temperature dropped way down below zero. At first I was excited. Snow usually means more light and I was dreaming about snow-related adventures with Teodor. Obviously he has a totally different point of view on that "white something". 

The beginning of the previous week we spent outside of home doing different stuff indoors, like visiting a friend, shopping for clothes, fabric,...(btw. Teodor is a great when it comes to accompanying me on the shopping trips). We always take these trips in the morning because he deals with them better and always falls asleep in the stroller on the way back home. I either took Charlie for a walk while he was still sleeping in the stroller or Charlie walked with the dad a bit later (he is not a fan of such freezing weather!), meaning I totally cut off his toddler walks. Well, I actually tried twice.
Pulling the sled is quite a work-out...and I felt like he gets no tired just from sitting there and being cold unlike me dying afterwards from all that physical activity.


So I decided to give a try to his motorbike...he did not move much on his own, I had to pull him on Charlie's leash. Even though he has really warm Reimatec gloves, his hands were not warm. Fun fact: we had to stop a lot, so he could clean the snow from his shoes and motorbike. 

Then he started to show signs of a runny nose and cough. If it was not that cold and he was more willing to spend time outside, we would be going out at least for some time, but instead this is the fourth day we are stuck at home and it's just nuisance. 

He has a cold, his tooth (may I be optimistic and say teeeth?) is growing, it is cold in the apartment, so he has to wear socks and a hoodie, there is no hot water (it's been not working for already a week, sometimes there is warm water but one never knows when and for how long) and I moved him to his own bed. This all together is just a recipe for a disaster. He doesn't sleep well in his bed, he has to sleep either in his hoodie or under a blanket - he hates both, so I don't sleep well either (I gave up this night, so I got some sleep :). So, fourth day with a whiny toddler who loves to talk in a high pitch voice, has lots of wonderful ideas how to be destructive (to both things and himself, another bloody accident did happen, this time we didn't have to go to ER...I really hate there is only one child ER in Tallinn, I'd feel really bad to go there one month after his fall from stairs accident). The whole weekend was about me and the dad making up meaningful things we have to do NOW, so the other one would have to take care of our annoyed toddler :)

Some photos from rare moments he was doing something productive :)






3 comments:

  1. I see he likes his Grimm's toys! :)

    But kinda funny.. From a perfect "Montessori child" in the last post, to a destructive toddler in this one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It´s so good to know that even T. has some dark moments from time to time :-)

    ReplyDelete