Friday, November 13, 2015

Stepping out of my role...raising myself

About a month ago I was reading an excellent book Sibling without Rivalry - very inspiring book, made me thinking a lot about a lot of things, and also about the roles I'm/was playing in my life.

Anyway, there have been a few people around who decided to start doing handcrafts out of the blue with no previous experience and their results haven't been perfect or had little flaws but still, they didn't give up. For some reason they became a huge inspiration for me and last weekend I decided to sew my first Waldorf inspired doll (lovey) and I was determined to finish it.

The thing is that we had sewing at elementary school - till grade 5, then I changed schools and went to the one which was meant for "smarter" kids who were not expected to be good with their hands, but with their brains- and I was fighting with every project and my parents would have "funny" comments about my struggles. So I had this feeling I am a totally useless when it comes to my hands. But lately I realized that most of my clothes is made by people who are not qualified and it's just about practice. It doesn't take a genius to sew something. It takes just a lot of practice to master fine motor skills (that I realized by watching Teodor - he can do his 5-piece puzzle now, btw.).

I decided to hand-sew it as my sewing machine is lent to a friend plus I am not friends with it much, not to mention hand-sewing gave me freedom of where I would work. So, I was sewing while doing sh-sh-sh to make my son play happily with his train set, I would sew while he was sitting on my lap doing whatever he was doing, I would sew while reading to him...you get the picture, right?

The doll has been finished today while he was napping. Of course it has many flaws and imperfections but to me it's beautiful. It's beautiful because I made it and mostly because I finished it. And it's really sad there is no working camera in the apartment, so I can't share a picture of it.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I want to see it!
    Sorry for stealing your sewing machine.. :P I should at least use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually if I wanted to finish it, I had to do it by hand :) I would never finish it on the sewing machine.

      Delete