Saturday, June 13, 2015

Bugs in my head

There are two things on my mind lately:

  • Simplicity in a toddler's life
  • Bedtime routines
I am planning to write a very long philosophical post on the topic of simplicity, but I will get to it properly another time...just want to note that I was thinking about it today, like how much a child probably benefits from simple activities like splashing the water or transporting a huge cardboard box around rather than from trips to amusement parks (or playgroups or whatever we are advertised to think as important for a child's development/amusement). This is kinda difficult for me, I am a mall person, I love the fast speed of the city,... will talk about it deeper in the planned post :)¨


Creating a bedtime routine is another thing bugging my mind...It takes too long and he seems not to get enough of sleep at night, so I wish for creating a clear bedtime routine for him hoping he will start falling asleep faster...
The key problem is timing his sleep, he seems to still need 2 naps per day, which shifts the bedtime to 9-10pm, if he gets one nap per day, he falls asleep at 6pm, which is too early, he might wake up at 7 and be awake till 10 or wake up at 9 and be awake till 10/11... No matter what what time he falls asleep, he is awake by 7am.
I have a feeling he would be able to fall asleep between 7-8pm (even with 2 naps per day), but at 7pm his dad comes home and it's way too exciting...he has to spend an hour following his dad, which postpones the bedtime, I understand his need for the daddy time, but... Maybe the dad should take over the bedtime? (but he usually refuses saying he doesn't want to fall asleep) How to structure the bedtime? Bath, dinner, book, songs, breast? I am now thinking also about googling some calming toddler massages...I feel like our biggest bedtime issue is him calming down. Once in a blue moon I manage to make him sleep in the right time and he falls asleep within 10 minutes (instead of an hour or hour and half). Otherwise, I have to put him in Tula carrier in which he calms down and then is able to fall asleep while nursing...One hour of my time, twice or three times a day. 
What are your bedtime routines? 



1 comment:

  1. About him calming down.. It looks like you are starting too late, calming activities should start already at least an hour before bedtime (meaning - no more exciting stuff, probably dad coming home around this time is not great for the routine at all..).

    But your mom seems to really enjoy her grandchild :)

    ReplyDelete