Saturday, May 30, 2015



I hate to admit it but our son loves cars. It is in some ways quite annoying because I (together with authors of Montessori from the Start) think it's a kinda pointless toy. I mean he has two cars we received as a present and I thought he would be fine with them at least till 3, but it seems like he would appreciate to have more. He always picks a car from a bunch of toys in sandboxes (for some reason there are toys lying around in downtown playgrounds), in the play-corners in shops,...and he is happily saying "brm brm" over and over and over...I guess following child's lead also means getting him toys you don't fully approve of...? Cars are probably less evil than battery operated toys, so I should just let my prejudices towards cars go and we should get him some tomorrow. Or just let it slide and he would play with those he finds outside of home? 

I am aware how silly this sounds to a mainstream parent, but it somehow doesn't fit much into my idea how I want to raise him, what toys he should have...If we get the car(s) as a present, it is ok, but I just don't feel like buying it/them especially as it is kinda against my beliefs. 

1 comment:

  1. It will be so easy for me, as I dont think parents need to buy toys for children for no big reason at all. ;) Parents need to buy only things children NEED, not what they WANT, because thats how you raise a consumer generation. We as children had toys that we somehow got somewhere, as gifts, and used stuff that we found around the house. As a result - still had a bunch of stuff (because as you know, there are still birthdays and Christmases, and relatives and friends) and developed a great imagination and had a fantastic childhood. ;)
    So still - I think buy him one car to use outside in the sandbox, if you want to, but he doesnt need more.

    ReplyDelete