Saturday, October 10, 2015

Toys

The other day I read this article and, well, it made me thinking about the topic again as I am a strong believer in toys. Don't get me wrong, I definitely am not up for piles of toys nobody plays with but I am totally up for development and age appropriate toys.

I agree with the points mentioned in the article - it is wonderful for a child to grow up in a community, to help with real-life tasks, to spend a lot of time outdoors, to play with whatever they find...but it is unrealistic for me. I wouldn't like to live on the edge of poverty and wouldn't want my son not to be able to have nice things. I don't mean for him to have whatever he points at, but you know it is pleasant not to be an outsider. I remember when we were teenagers, my parents bought us a super-expensive PC Pentium 2, we were one of the first in the village to have a PC and we were so popular because of that. Again, I don't plan to buy him the newest versions of everything, I would like to raise not too consumerist child - but it is nice to spoil yourself from time to time, isn't it?
We take two walks per day no matter what the weather is like, but it is not really possible for him to spend there all day long except for summers because his mother is always cold while watching over him, plus I can't really do anything else. I don't have anybody else to watch over him.

If you choose the right toy and the right amount, I believe it can help to develop the child's motor skills, spatial understanding, creativity,...and it entertains the child while you are doing something else. Let's face it, most of us are most of the days home alone with the child/ren and I don't believe you want them always to help you..or you might wanna do your own things without the child and then the toys are a great helper.
I am afraid to write this but Teodor is able to play on his own most of the time we are at home - I hope after publishing this it is not going to change. He sometimes needs me to watch him play or to read with him but generally his toys are suiting his development and needs, so they entertain him quite well.

This was my view a few days ago...the Grimm's rainbow arch made me laugh, have no idea why he put it there.

Reading with his friends.
I am quite done with organizing his play or trying to develop him on purpose (I used to be a bit crazy before he turned 1), I mostly let him play as he wants to. If he wanders around and looks bored, I suggest an activity, sometimes he is happy with it, sometimes not, then I try something else...and sometimes I let him be bored.
As you have probably noticed from my previous posts, I pay quite a close attention to each toy before I buy it and it seems it pays off as most of the toys are played with. He has a very minimum battery-operated toys (e.g. the Melissa and Doug house is battery-operated but it came with no batteries, so it stayed that way), he has no blinking toys except for the FP dog, his heart blinks but I guess it is not over-stimulating, he has started to like the dog lately, he uses it as a music background for his other activities. What I'm trying to say toys are working for us and I definitely wouldn't want to give them up. I remember having nice toys as a child, maybe that's why I value them...?

To sum up, I didn't write this as an opposition to the article mentioned in especially if they have a reasonable amount and are age/development appropriate, if they force child to play with them actively, not just to push buttons to see what's going to happen...

7 comments:

  1. It seems, if you think you have had a happy childhood, you want to create the same for your child..
    (Might be the opposite, if someone's childhood, in their opinion, was not so nice.. They try to do it differently, how they would have wanted it to be.)

    For example, you had nice stuff, liked it, and want the same for Teodor.
    I feel the same about my childhood - it was perfect. Had enough of nice toys (in my opinion, in a way that I never felt like missing out on something..), same time most of the time - being outside and improvising. That's what I would want to create for my child..
    And there's nothing wrong with that. ;) We are all a bit different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is more about things I value, as you know I like nice stuff myself, so I want it for our son, I don't intend to recreate my childhood for Teodor because the circumstances are totally different, but yes, I pick up the happy memories and think if or how to make them happen for Teodor, too.
      As for the time spent outdoors when we were kids - it was fun only when other kids were around and it's not that easy nowadays to find a parent who would let their child run outside all days long...plus I remember our parents sending us out just to enjoy some peace...and also the concern for safety is much bigger now, I guess it is mostly in the cities, but still...children are more valued now.

      Delete
  2. As for the article - it all very much depends on the attitude and society around you.
    If parents are very involved, child has a lot of attention and interacting with various people, plus can spend a lot of time in nature.. Then he really doesn't need any specially made toys.
    Living in a small city apartment, interacting pretty much only with the mother, is an entirely different story. (Even if you take two walks a day.)

    And it also depends on the society the child is in - as not having something that others have, can be traumatizing. (So huge difference, do you live in a small village or city center school, where your child will feel bad, if he will have Android, while others have iPhone.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually believe that sometimes the kids of successful parents can be more open-minded than children from a less successful background.

      Delete
    2. Can be, for sure, but that depends on so many more things.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess no children would choose and appriciate no-toys-ever childhood. But on the other hand - too many toys, stuffed animals, plastic a/or battery-operated mind-cleaning toys, there is no good influence either. So... pick baby´s toys carefully, it will make your child enthusiastic, happy and motivated. I really like Teodor´s toys and your choices of toys really inspire me.
    I am so looking forward to M.´s x-mas present - a red rocking deer :-)

    ReplyDelete