Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Time-in

Time-ins as contrast to time-outs were used in The Happiest Toddler on the Block book and I just love the term and how it describes what I kinda knew from the beginning.

I noticed when I babywore baby Teodor for several hours, usually outside of home, when we came back home, he was happy to play on his own for quite long. Unlike when we were home and he was not getting my full attention all day long.

Today morning Teodor didn't wake up in the best mood, so I decided to take him on his motorbike to our local shop (around 2km) because he loves being outside and ride his motorbike. But he was so slow, he would stop every few metres pointing at something. The more worked up I was getting, the slower he was. Then I realized this was not working and we were both going to end up screaming. I remembered dr. Karp and decided to try time-ins. So I tried playing the boob (was running next to him pretending he was super-fast and I couldn't keep up with him, he was laughing his head off), I gave him hi5 when he reached me or a hug and kisses, I was massaging his back while riding...and it worked. He gradually stopped stopping every few metres and at the end of our trip he was going continuously. Win-win. 

The point is that if you want to reduce the number of tamtrums, lots of time-ins are a great way how to reach the goal. It makes sense, I am also willing to cooperate more with somebody who is nice to me most of the time than somebody who ignores me a lot (and I suppose ignoring is much more annoying for a toddler than for an adult). 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your experience and all these wonderful ideas you read about from time to time :)).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true, if I think about - on the days when I have had Adelaide in the wrap like all day long (for many hours), she is very happy in the evening!
    And this is amazing tip, only if parents would remember it and get over their frustration..

    ReplyDelete