Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Our tricks how we keep it calm

Even though Teodor seems to be quite choleric (both his parents are), I'm starting to think we have a very calm household compared to other families with the similar aged toddlers.

So here is a list of tricks how we do it.
  • Right nutrition - very little sugars and generally we try to limit the junk to minimum; he is still breastfed and gets fish oil on a regular basis (both very important sources of DHA acid, which is proved to have a calming effect on children)
  • Lots of time-ins
  • Lots of win time for him - The Happiest Toddler on the Block book suggests that "fair" means for toddler that he wins 90% of time...I love the idea and try to stick to it.
  • I don't get bothered by "smallies", unimportant things, like e.g. if he spills something, I don't let it get to me, I try to look at it from wider perspective and we clean it together. I am pretty sure he doesn't spill water on the floor just because he wants to irritate me. There are millions things every day he considers important and which I could let bother me...but usually I don't. I always try think about the bigger picture, about him being this young, him discovering the world...for example he starts whining the moment I say "we are going out". When he is dressed, he starts signing "motorbike" and cries "brm brm brm" like we were going to leave it at home...He stops the whining only when we get out of the entrance door and I place the motorbike on the floor. Another example of a smallie is his love for being nude at home. I could spend a lot of nerves on negotiating with him or I can just do it as he wishes hoping he wouldn't get cold (he does sometimes, but never got a runny nose from it or anything else). I am mostly doing what he wants, which gives him those 90% of winning, and therefore he is willing to cooperate on the bigger, important things. 
  • Right communication techniques - "no" is not the word to use if you want your child stop doing something. 
  • Calm family environment - children mostly reflect their parents, right? Having a functioning family is, in my opinion, a great help.Another thing: If I am tired, I tend to get worked up easier, and so is Teodor less mentally stable, so I try to keep myself relaxed, well-rested, the unwashed dishes won't go anywhere (experience confirms that).

4 comments:

  1. Uz driv jsem zaregistrovala, ze slovo ne u vas nefrci. Jak to teda delate? Kuba docela chape, kdyz neco nesmi (ne ze by ale vzdycky poslechl :-D ), ale jak to teda rict jinak?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To se blbě takhle instantně vysvětluje...prostě mu více méně říkám, co má dělat. Občas mu teda řeknu "ne", ale nedá se říct, že by ho to ve většině případů zastavilo (reaguje jen na "ne" v nebezpečných situacích, asi můj výraz obličeje tomu napomáhá).

      Delete
    2. Tak ja si to zkusim nejak prebrat a vyzkouset :-) Jako u nas se nesmi vice mene jenom lezt mi na notebook a tahat kabely, tak snad me popadne inspirace v ten pravy moment :-)

      Delete
    3. Myslím, že naučit nelízt na notebook je výzva, Teodor se tohle nikdy nenaučil, ale kabely přestal tahat, ono jde o to, že spousta věcí časem přestane děti bavit.

      Delete